If you’ve been paid with a check, you may be wondering what to do next. You can deposit the check and get access to the funds immediately or cash it at your bank. But how does that work?
It might seem like a simple process, but there are some details you should know before proceeding:
- How much does it cost to cash a check?
- Where to Cash Checks?
- How to cash a check without a bank account?
- Do i need an id to cash a check?
- Can you cash a check at any bank?
To answer these questions and make sure that everything goes as smoothly as possible, read our ultimate guide on how to cash a check in easy steps.
The Simplest Way to Cash a Check
If you’ve ever wanted to know the simplest way to cash a check, this is for you.
As long as you have an account with that bank and can show identification, you should be able to do it in about 5 minutes.
Here are the steps:
- Head into any of their branches and approach one of the tellers.
- Ask about how much the bank charges to cash the check. And find out if there is a cheaper way to get your money.
- Sign the back of your check with your name to endorse it.
- Fill out a deposit slip. Then sign it.
- Hand them your ID and the check;
- They will verify everything matches up and then cash it for you.
- The whole process should take less than five minutes!
How and Where to Cash a Personal Check Without a Bank Account?
You may have heard that it’s not possible to cash a personal check without a bank account, but the truth is that there are some ways you can do this.
- Cash the check at the issuing bank (bank name that is pre-printed on the check). If you’re lucky, the bank will cash your check for a fee.
- Find an institution that will give you a check-cashing card. Certain credit unions are willing to provide this service for their members.
- You can also go to some retail stores and they may be willing to cash your personal check too.
- Cash it at a store that has an agreement with your bank. You may have to show some identification, but you can usually cash checks up to $250 in value without providing any other information.
- Cash the check at an ATM machine that accepts checks. These machines are found in most banks and credit unions as well as some retail stores like Walmart
- Another option to cash a personal check without a bank account is to have someone else cash it for you with their account information on them.
Disadvantages of Cashing a Check Without a Bank Account
The problem with cashing checks without an account is that you will pay more in fees and it won’t be as convenient for you.
It’s important to note also, that if you don’t have an account at your bank, then it’ll take longer for them to process your funds because they need time to verify whether or not the person who wrote the check has enough money in their account.
- This means deposits made via ATM could take up to three business days before showing up on your statement.
- Checks deposited through mobile banking apps usually show up within one day of deposit.
Do i need an id to cash a check?
Usually, when people cash a check, they need to have an ID to do it. Banks must follow rules by the FDIC that requires them to get an ID. That’s why you need your ID to cash a check. But, sometimes you may be able to cash a check even if you don’t have an ID.
So how to cash a check without ID? Let’s take a look at where and how:
- Some banks will let customers deposit checks with just their driver’s license and Social Security card – but that depends on the bank!
- Some ATMs also offer check cashing services (so long as you know where they are!)
- There is another good option for cashing checks – mobile apps! Download one of these apps (like Ingo Money) and link your bank account, your prepaid card or PayPal account with the app so you can scan the check into it. No need for any other ID, just a few clicks to make it happen. The Lodefast app and Brink’s Money Prepaid can also be used to check cashing.
- Walmart check cashing is one of the best places to cash checks without an ID. The fees are low, and it’s also easy and fast to do.
- Ace Check Cashing can cash most personal checks with no id required
- Some Grocery Stores such as Kroger and Safeway can cash checks for you without a bank account.
- Customers can sign the check over to another person who has an account set up in their name.
- Call the bank and ask about their policy. If they say you don’t need an ID to cash a check, then go ahead!
Where To Cash Checks ? 7 Best Places
There are several places you can cash a personal check , depending on where you are:
1) Your Bank: For instance, if you plan to deposit it into an account of your own then your personal bank is probably going to be the best place for that.
2) The Issuing Bank: The Bank listed on the check should be the first place you try.
3) Walmart check cashing is one of the best options. With over 4,000 stores in the US alone, there’s always a Walmart nearby. And with its mobile app, Walmart make it even easier for you to cash checks and get your money when you need it. Many people ask does walmart cash personal checks ? The short answer Yes, Walmart will cash most personal checks with no ID required at any of their stores in the U.S.
4) Ace Check Cashing is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week and offers an address near you. With no ID required, Ace can cash most personal checks with no questions asked. So stop by any of their retail stores to get your money when you need it.
5) The United States Postal Service is always another option for cash checks without ID because it’s free to use the postal system! It will take about two weeks before your check clears when using this method of cashing a personal check but it’s one of the cost-free options for people without a bank account.
6) Grocery stores are another place to cash checks without an ID like Kroger, Target, HEB, Publix, Safeway and Winn Dixie
7) Gas stations: One of the last places you should try to cash a personal check is one of the many gas stations in your neighborhood
Check Cashing FAQs
How much does it cost to cash a check?
Answer: The average fee for cashing a personal check is $4.00 per transaction. There are usually no charges if you have an account with the bank that issued the check, but an ATM may charge from $1.50 to $2.00 in fees.
If you want to get a better deal for cashing your check, visit your local credit union or community bank. Many of these institutions charge $1-$2 to cash checks and sometimes offer a discount on boxes of checks.
How to get a cashier's check?
Answer: A cashier’s check is a type of bank check that can be used to make deposits at the bank or other financial institution. If you need to deposit a large amount of money, it might be more convenient to use a cashier’s check instead of bringing in both your deposit and withdrawal slips.
In order to get a cashier’s check, start by going into your bank and filling out the necessary paperwork. They’ll ask for how much money you want the check for, how long you want it for, how many checks per page you would like, and how many pages you would like in total.
How to cash a check online?
Answer: Cashing a check online is a good option, especially if you don’t have time to make it into the bank. You can quickly get the cash you need. Some banks will charge a fee to cash your check online, but some won’t. Click here to check our 10 best apps to cash a check online (2021)